There is a basic microscopy lab on board, located in the cabin. Lake samples can be observed on-board and classes are free to take samples with them at the end of the program.
Our instructors will lead teams through a basic observation/evaluation of plankton samples collected at the Plankton Trawl station. Depending on the objectives and age of the group, we will complete the following tasks.
- Parts of microscope, scaling, etc.
- Preparing plankton samples and viewing them under microscopes.
- phyto plankton vs. zooplankton
- Use of visual keys
- Comparison of depth-specific samples
- Niche evaluation
- Relative density, etc.
Observations & Discussion
Teams will complete the appropriate portion of their lab sheets, noting types of organisms found, population density and other factors as appropriate.
- Organism specific studies: life cycle and adaptations
- population dynamics
- Comparison to historical data from academic sources and previous Floating Classroom years.