We have a 2017-2018 fundraising campaign underway: A Boat for Everyone! We have matching support and a boat being held for us, to allow us to better serve more students and more community members in future seasons on the water. It's all lined up, but we need your help, please, to make it happen. Make A Boat For Everyone a reality on Cayuga Lake this Spring, 2018! Learn more about the boat and our fundraising campaign.
Experiential Impact Across the Community
Throughout our Discover Cayuga Lake programs, we award at least $25,000 annually in scholarships to help classes and organizations participate in our Trout in the Classroom curriculum and enjoy our hands-on Floating Classroom and Boat Tours programs.
We depend upon grants, sponsorships and your donations to make this possible. Please consider making a financial contribution!
Discover Cayuga Lake is a project of the Center for Transformative Action, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, which accepts all funds on our behalf.
- To donate online using a credit card, please visit our organization's non-profit profile on GiveGab.
- To donate by check, please make checks out to the Center for Transformative Action, with "Cayuga Lake Floating Classroom" in the memo line. Mail to Center for Transformative Action, 119 Anabel Taylor Hall, Ithaca NY 14853.
How You Can Help
The nature of our programming, which emphasizes exploration-based learning, collaboration, outdoor settings and hands-on experience, makes it resource-intensive. In order to remove financial barriers, we provide scholarships to cover the cost of programs on a needs-based scale.
Floating Classroom Lake Cruise Programs are typically valued at $700 per class. With your support, we are able to offer as much as a 75% scholarship for needy groups. Over the past five years, we have succeeded in helping about 2500 students enjoy the lake, and learn, with us annually!
Trout in the Classroom programs, including cold-water aquariums, 5 class visits and year-round support for teachers, is typically valued at $700 per class. With your support, during the 2016-2017 school year, we hope to award nearly $10,000 in financial aid for the 16 schools and over 40 classes participating!
Volunteer! Assist in mentoring classes or join one of our advisory committees. We are looking for individuals with energy, interest, and experience in boating, fundraising, curriculum and marketing.
The Floating Classroom was established following the adoption of the Cayuga Lake Watershed Restoration and Protection Plan, and is guided by a volunteer committee, according to the following values.
- Community. We prioritize community concerns and local resources.
- Local Learning. We focus on local ecosystems and community services.
- Direct Experience. We emphasize active, hands-on learning opportunities.
- Equal Access. We provide opportunities regardless of culture or income.
- Citizen Science. Program participants generate and share useful data.
If you have any questions, please contact our Program Director, Bill Foster (email@example.com). Thank you for your support!
Discover Cayuga Lake is a partner project of the Center for Transformative Action, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, which accepts all funds on our behalf.